Australians for Affordable Housing is calling on Tasmanians to join the campaign for more affordable housing, revealing which local council areas across the state are hit the hardest by housing stress.
New modelling commissioned by the campaign shows the Northern Tassie towns where housing stress is affecting with renters and home buyers alike.Launceston, George Town, Break O’ Day and Tasman are the local council areas under the highest levels of housing stress with around 16 per cent of households on a low income and paying high housing costs.
Households right across Tasmania are experiencing housing stress, with rates of housing stress in regional councils similar to those experienced by Sorell and Brighton Council areas in Hobart. This is not just a problem for capital cities, but renters and home buyers across the state.
Australians for Affordable Housing is urging Tasmanians to join the campaign and encourage Governments to implement actions to address the housing crisis.
It will take collective action at Federal, State and local government levels to ensure that we fix our broken housing system.
- Alliance of community groups launches petition to reform negative gearing
- Affordable Housing Reform Agenda launched
- Time to look at real solutions to Australia’s housing affordability crisis – ACOSS
- CEOs appeal to Minister to end funding uncertainty – Homelessness Australia
- Report on Government Services 2015 Released